Thursday, April 10, 2008

Random times with my ex roomie.

*truth in advertising: this blog was written on Christmas Eve, 2007 somewhere else. But I like here better.

--------

Just returned home from visiting parents and my older brothers/sisters and their families. It was really quite nice actually. My dad's first wife's other husband (yeah, I have notes to keep up) passed away recently and he was as big a reader as I am apparently. She said I should take all the books I wanted because she was going to give them all to the library. Anyone who knows me should be afraid at this point.

After an appropriate minute of silence for her former love I grabbed a hefty bag and then went off. Filled it with interesting looking books and was happy as a.. guy.. who's happy. Sorry, my metaphor machine is broken. Or are those similes? I can never keep those straight. Anyway, the garbage bag o' books is now waiting to be sorted and added to my shelves. Happy day for me.

Had an interesting night last night. I was kinda bummed about life in general, my current direction or lack thereof, the fact that I may be looking for a new roomie soon, and just.. everything I guess. I hate actually talking about things that bother me, because I have a Y chromosome, but Nicole knew I wasn't feeling too joyous so she suggested shots and hot tub. 2 shots of Jaeger later we were laughing and joking in the boiling water and suddenly life wasn't as bleak. Had another shot afterward and was pretty pleasantly buzzed as the hot tub and alcohol combined to put me in fuzzy land. If anyone got strange emails after that, oops. Yes, I'm looking at you Kerri.


I said probably the wrongest thing in a few weeks today, so I should repeat it. Nicole had a deaf jerk on the phone, on a relay call. He was seriously being an ass, cursing her out through the operator. (FYI: relay calls are where the deaf person types it out and the operator must read the transcription EXACTLY). So she has an operator telling her "you are fucking insane if you think I'm paying fucking $300 for a 1-way ticket, you bitch!".

So I suggested, being a good supervisor, that she tell him "You know, if you were a better person, God would probably let you hear stuff".

Gasps from the surrounding peanut gallery. I swear 2 of them moved their chairs back in case lightning struck.

Thing is, I worked with deaf people extensively in school. I learned a very important thing: They are people. They don't need to be coddled, they just need to be treated like everyone else, except maybe LOUDER AND SLOWER.

Ok that last part was just rude. And doesn't quite make sense if you think about it.

I won't.

But you know what I mean. If the guy wasn't deaf, would I have made that joke? No, I would have found something else to mock him for, because he was being an asshole to my friend.

Anyway, such was my Christmas Eve. Handicapable joking aside, hope all of you have a good one, say I love you to your families whether you feel it at the moment or not, because shutup and do it.

3 comments:

Ginormous Boobs said...

uh, can you please tell your readers about that one particular book found in the Mormon's bag?

Also, it's ok to make fun of handicapped people if you are Wii-tarded yourself.

Bob Dobalina said...

Oh I absolutely will.. once I get it back. I'm going to want examples to take from it.

Bob Dobalina said...

Oh I absolutely will.. once I get it back. I'm going to want examples to take from it.